Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Childbirth Professional Day - Meet Hannah Parker

What is your Childbirth Profession?
I am a professional birth photographer and pursuing my DONA certification to become a certified birth doula.
 
Describe your profession and why someone would want to choose your profession for support in pregnancy and/or childbirth.
Doulas are the helper of a laboring woman (and her partner!) both physically and emotionally. I chose to hire a doula for both of my pregnancies because I wanted the constant support that usually isn’t available with an OB or Midwife alone. Doulas don’t leave your side throughout labor, and are there to give back rubs, encourage, get water, run the bath, and offer moral support. One of the points that really made my mind for me was that a doula is one of the only people with you at the hospital who YOU have hired and chosen. As a doula, I care for a woman during her labor and delivery. It is my passion to help you have the empowering birth experience you are seeking.
 
Why did you get started in your profession?
I’ve always been interested in birth since my first experience with it as a child. I choose to dive into becoming a DONA certified doula after two years of professionally photographing birth. I love every aspect of birth and it is my passion to be with a laboring woman as she becomes a mother, for the first, or fifteenth time. It gives me energy to be able to help a woman become more comfortable, or confident in her laboring experience. My personal experience with doulas has been so positive, both through my own labors and the labors of mothers I’ve photographed. I am so excited to join the ranks of these giving women.
 
In detail, what is your personal childbirth philosophy?
I believe that childbirth is totally natural and normal. Women have been doing it since the dawn of time and we instinctively KNOW how to birth our babies. I want every mother to labor and birth the way that SHE feels the most empowered. Each birth and labor is different with different demands and needs. It would be ideal to me if every woman walks away from her birthing experience not only becoming a mother, but feeling like she accomplished something incredible in bringing a new life into the world. I want women to be empowered.

If you could tell all pregnant women in the world something, what would it be?
I would tell them to trust their instincts, and educate themselves on labor and delivery. Don’t necessarily take all the advice you hear, but become wise from your own experiences and education.

How long have you been in your profession? Are you certified? If yes, by who?
I am at the beginning of my certification journey. I am working through DONA International and hope to be certified midway through 2014!
 
Do you have a business name? How can people contact you for pregnancy and childbirth support?
My business name is Fresh Love Photography & Birth Services and my facebook page iswww.facebook.com/freshlovebirthphotography My website is www.siouxfallsbirthphotography.com If for some reason these links don’t work, you can always email me at hannah@siouxfallsbirthphotography.com or call at 605.940.6952

Where do you practice?
I am based in Sioux Falls and am open to traveling up to 45 minutes to be with you during your labor and delivery.

No comments: