Monday, September 22, 2014

Prodromal Labor....How Do I Loathe Thee?

From Wikipedia:
Pre-labour, also called "prodromal labour," consists of the early signs before labor starts. It is the body's preparation for real labour. Prodromal labour has been misnamed as “false labour." Prodromal labour begins much as traditional labour but does not progress to the birth of the baby.
Yeah...

Prodromal Labor. If anyone tells you that it's "False Labor" you feel free to tell them where to shove those words.

Prodromal Labor contractions are most definitely "real".

They may not be doing a lot of dilating of the cervix, and they may not be progressing things very quickly, but they are definitely and for-surely doing something real. They are not Braxton Hicks contractions. And they are not "false" contractions. They are basically early labor, just not very organized or progressive.

And I've been having them. A lot.

I had plenty with Porter, too. I just don't remember them being this early. I know I had them for a good week and a half with him. I even called my mom thinking labor might be starting. She came here and they stopped, not to begin again until late the following week.

The thing is, I was DUE then. I'm still not due for a week and a half and I've been having these silly things for a week already. I've been planning on not having this baby until about a week after I'm due, thinking it will be similar to my other babies.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this one is coming *gasp* early?! I don't know what I'm gonna do if he comes early! Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to meet our little Jellybean, but I have plans. Things I gotta do. It will be really inconvenient if this little one makes his/her entrance into this world before I'm ready.

But, just like I tell my clients who go past their estimated due date, I need to remind myself of this: This sweet baby will come when he/she is ready. Not when I am.

So, to that I say "Ok". I need to let go of control and let my baby and body do what they are supposed to do, and whenever this sweet baby decides to come I'll be ready and waiting with open arms and an overflowing heart for our beautiful new addition.

But also, to my body I'd like to say: Please lay off the Prodromal Labor. Just let me know when it's really for real time to bring this sweet one earthside and I'll be ready. Thanks.

~Evie

No comments: