Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Have I Lost It?

I think I have lost it.

Everyone does at some point or another, I think.

Maybe I can fake it.

Well....I do fake it sometimes.

I'm talking, of course, of creative-imaginative-kid-play.

My kids often ask me to tell them a story. I can easily tell them stories that I know. Stories like The Three Little Pigs, The Three Bears, or Little Red Riding Hood. And I'm actually pretty good at it.

But they want me to make up a story to tell them. I usually shutter a little (on the inside of course) when they ask me to do that. I'm just not very creative on-the-fly like that. I do ok, but usually it's a pretty predictable, short story that any adult would think is pretty pathetic.

Then there's the imaginative play.

You know. Like with cars or trucks or something. My son LOVES it when I play those with him.

Why couldn't my daughter ask me to play dolls with her? Or barbies? Or house? Those things I can do. Those are the things I played with.

But cars? trucks? I don't even know where to begin.

So, with a resigned smile and an internal pep-talk, I agree to play with him. I try to take his lead, but usually he's wanting me to take the lead.

I generally do the only thing I can think of. Suggest races between our respective cars/trucks/tractors/whatever, or turn the cars into humans that talk and interact.

Yesterday, my car invited all the other cars over for a karaoke party. Each of our vehicles sang a song, then my pet robot-dinosaurs showed up and scared all the guests. It was kinda awesome.

Our karaoke party with my pet robot-dinos

Then we had a contest to see which cars could get away from one of the robot-dinosaurs before getting bitten.

Just like the stories I tell, any adult would find it totally lame.

But I wasn't playing with other adults.

I was playing with my kids. And they thought my "lacking" creativity was pretty awesome, and right before we started playing, as I was texting my husband, my 6 year old said "no more screens, Mom. It's time to play"

So, have I lost it? I don't know....maybe. Do I fake it? Yep. But it doesn't matter. My kids think playing with their mama is pretty sweet, and that's all that really matters. As much as I dread it sometimes, I take the time to play when they ask me to - no matter what they want to play or want me to do. Hopefully they don't stop asking me anytime soon!

Now....I have to go. I promised them a super-awesome (i.e. totally lame) story this afternoon. I'll catch you on the flip side.

~Evie

No comments: