Monday, May 11, 2015

Liquid Love

One of my friends is tandem nursing her sweet girls. She is a new La Leche League leader in Winner, SD, and she has been travelling to Mitchell for La Leche League for a couple years now. Talk about a dedicated breastfeeding mama!

She also worked hard earlier this year to help us get legislation passed to protect breastfeeding in public here in South Dakota.

She recently shared this lovely poem that she wrote about her breastfeeding relationship with her oldest daughter, Lillace, in our Mitchell LLL Facebook group. I wanted to share it with you, because it certainly touched me, and I really think you will enjoy it as well.


Liquid Love

We’ve been through a lot on this nursing endeavor,
In all my life, it’s been one of the most amazing adventures.
Through it all you’ve hung on tight,
And so far, there’s no end in sight.
I’ll never forget that first latch,
In that recovery room, there was no doubt; you knew just what to do…we were the perfect match.
While you nursed, you looked so at peace,
I’d never seen anything more beautiful…not even in a dream.
Those first few days in the hospital seemed so easy,
But when we got home, life wasn’t so breezy.
My poor girl, you were so confused…nursing had become both your pleasure and your pain,
I didn’t know what to do…my resolve to stick with it was beginning to wane.
Finally we figured it out…no more dairy for Mama,
But there was never a doubt that it was absolutely worth it…you were so much happier and calmer.
My Baby Lillace, the first time you smiled was while you were nursing,
Special memories like this make my heart so full that it feels like it’s bursting.
I know nursing means so much to you,
It’s always been far more than just food.
It is comfort and love,
It gives us a deep connection…like your soul is giving mine a hug.
When life gets too overwhelming, and you’re not sure what to do,
A little time spent nursing helps you calm down and relax…maybe it’s the snuggles…maybe it’s the “juice”.
Nursing you means a lot to me too…more than I could ever put into words,
Knowing that it will some day be just a memory, makes my heart literally hurt.
When you nurse, it’s like my heart is singing a song that only you can hear,
And to my soul I will forever hold these songs dear.
It’s more than just “liquid gold” that flows from me to you,
It’s peace, adoration, devotion…it’s liquid love too.
We’ve gotten through a lot by nursing,
RSV, pneumonia, ear infections, influenza…teething.
I love watching the interaction between you and your sister while nursing together,
The sight of you two holding hands will pull at my heartstrings…forever.
I’m not sure how old you will be when you wean,
Or if when you look back at your life, these memories will be seen.
Either way my dear, please know I will always look back at nursing you with fondness.
And I know this time together will forever bond us.

With love from my heart to yours,
Mommy (May 2015)


Thank you Rachel - your words are just beautiful and I think there are a lot of mamas out there who agree. Nursing our sweet babies is like giving them "Liquid Love"

~Evie

No comments: